In this region you can enjoy cycling through green mountains and incredible scenery, like the Uctubamba valley, the Gocta waterfall, one of the tallest in the world, and the pre-Inca fortress of Kuélap. Visits last 6 days, during which you can scale mountains, negotiate rapids and enjoy the hospitality of the local people in a variety of towns like Magdalena, Tingo and Lamud, among others.
The area is famous for its cloud forests and extraordinary microclimates, which provide a habitat for orchids, Andean bears and cock-of-the-rocks. There are also archaeological sites such as the enigmatic fortress of Kuélap, built between the Andes and the jungle, and mysterious tombs and sarcophagi from the time when the Chachapoya civilisation ruled the region. Finally, visitors can see mansions and colonial balconies, thermal springs, lagoons and the gigantic Yumbilla and Gocta waterfalls. A destination of countless opportunities.
- Location: Amazon Department, Chachapoyas (2,334 masl), Luya (2,325 masl) and Bongará (1,935 masl) provinces.
- Weather: temperate, with rain from December to April.
- Average temperature: 23°C.
- Season: from April to November
- Access by land: Lima — Chiclayo — Bagua — Chachapoyas; Tarapoto — Moyobamba — Pedro Ruiz — Chchapoyas; Cajamarca — Celendín — Chachapoyas.
- Level: intermediate.
- Time: 6 days.